Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking Numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

EWAN1

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
GB
I have written a word document, containing numbered clauses. M:1, M:2, I:3, etc. I have macros setup to automatically number the clauses consecutively if i add a new clause.

However now the document is complete i want to lock the numbering so a clause always has the same number in the future. e.g. M:23 shall always refer to the clause "the car shall be red"

New clauses added will have to have numbers carrying on from the last number.

Is there a way of locking these fields?,

I appreciate any help,

Cheers,

Ewan

EWAN1, did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem (in Word 2000).

no not yet,

I think we'll have to issue the doc. as a .pdf.

Disabling the macros means that new clauses cannot easily be added but doesn't stop re-numbering when you remove one.

If you have no tables or diagrams try saving the doc as a wordpad format then reverting to word. This locks the text but some formatting is lost.

It does seem strange that in word you cannot just lock the numbering but apparently not.

EWAN

So sad! I saw your post was from Feb. so I hoped maybe you had some luck. At least I feel better that I am not missing something obvious. I am working with a HUGE table, so there is no way around it right now.

Thanks. I will keep searching...

Its a good idea,
Unfortunately it doesn;t work for my numbers :( Someone wrote a macro for the document and it must be different in some way to normal numbers., All the numbers just dissapear when you paste.

never mind,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back