Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking layers before giving a file out? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

landy08

Technical User
Jul 7, 2009
US
I am using Indesign CS4. I created a software box that I am passing along to a partner and I wanted to know how I could go about locking the file so it cannot be edited on his end?

Thanks,
Jen

...locking layers is available and also locking groups or individual items, much like the way illustrator functions, these can obviously be unlocked by anyone who receives the indesign file...

...locking layers is done via the layers palette, shift select layers and choose from the flyout menu, top right arrow of palette...

...other ways of locking items is done via the object menu...

...the only other option is to supply a press ready PDF file, but even these are editable to a degree, and password protected PDF files can be stripped of security too...

andrew

I'm sure what Andrew means is that you can't lock a file so don't bother trying. [bigsmile]

You could print your design on paper and pass off the print.

How about just sending him a PDF file? He will get the file with no loss in quality.

He can print it, re-size it whatever but he can't change the contents of the file.

>>> "but he can't change the contents of the file." <<<

...this wholly depends on the end users software really, PDF files can be edited with special acrobat software, and even with acrobat pro on it's own (to a degree)...

...admittedly PDF editing is troublesome for most users, even with the correct software, but it is worth remembering that PDF files are indeed editable, even the so called "secure" pdf files...

...it also depends what you are trying to edit, in theory a PDF 1.3 file is harder to edit than a PDF 1.4 or higher version, due to transparency flattening in PDF 1.3...

...print providers who use Adobes APPE rendering will largely want PDF 1.4 or higher as this allows easier editing very late in a print workflow, even right up to the point the file has been imposed to large press sheets. To fulfil those very tight deadlines in prepress this can often be the difference between delaying a job and chasing around for clients to resend, or fixing it yourself and getting the job done...

andrew

I don't believe people should EVER send out native file to ANYONE, that includes the client (unless asked for) this opens a can of worms regarding Version control etc. i.e what happens when it comes back for re print and the client goes direct to printer for changes, then further down the track comes to you for some more change, but you are unaware of the first lot and your file is not up to date...

Always send out PDFs....

My two cents

Marcus

Or you could export each page to a jpeg, then combine the jpegs in Acrobat. It looks like a normal pdf, but it cannot be edited. You can even put a water mark (in Acrobat) on it so it will really foil him.

Greg
macproductionartist.wordpress.com

Hi apepp

I'm assuming that the recipient doesn't have a full version or Adobe Acrobat. Not a lot of people do but I suppose it is possible.

Still I have a similar issue and it works for me.

I do a lot of menus that the restaurant managers print out themselves (on inkjet printers we recommend) on paper supplied by myself and placed into folders that we also supply.

When ever they make a change in the menu (prices or items) they have to come back to us because we supply them with PDF files that they can't change on site.

This both allows us to control the quality of the product and charge them for the changes so that our income from the job continues over years.

The whole thing is handled via e-mail so there is't a lot of running around.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back