Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking field after data input 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2002
GB
Hello there

I am using Access 2003 for data front end to a SQL 2005 DB.

I am trying to design a 'job card' that will allow users to report faults/request help.

What I want to do is
Have a Date reported box on the job card Form that will auto input the date reported (linked to the relevant SQL column)and then make sure the user cannot go in and change this date.

Is this achievable from Access.

Any pointers gratefully received
Jack

You can set the default value of a control on a form, you can also set the locked and / or enabled properties.

Remou

Just needed that little prompt to get the old grey matter jump started.

Many thanks
Jack

On your properties sheet for the control, set the Default Value to =Date(), and format your date style. Then change the Enabled property to No, and set your Locked property to Yes. I would also suggest setting your Tab stop property to No. That should keep anyone from altering your data.

nwprog

Once again - many thanks even better -
whilst I have your attention - I have come across another problem -

I have created a couple of list boxes - but when saved as a data access page (htm) they do not show correctly.

Are you aware of problem.

Jack

Jack I've actually run into this problem once or twice, and as yet have not been able to come up with a solution. You might try creating them in XML and importing that into the .htm page. If your trying to create an DAP from within an mdb, hang it up, I've tried and it just doesn't work. To fully take advantage of the DAP you need to be working with an Access Data Project (ADP). Pages are more or less for something that resides on a server, and updates are made via the .htm doc's. But this is a little over my head. Wish I could be more help, if you give me a better description of what your trying to do with the page, I might be able to suggest a workable alternative.

One of the problems with DAPs is that very few people use them, so solutions are difficult to find, as is illustrated in this thread702-1428160. You would be better using ASP.Net or even ASP classic.

I agree with Remou. Personally my problem is that I'm still learning. I've done a little study on ASP but am focusing on VB2005 at the moment. The syntax is similar to VBA but the algarythms are slightly different. The advantage to that is you can build your own custom database in VB. So I'm using VBA and Access as learning tools to see what works then transfering the final products into VB, that way the entire process is contained in one Application.

Many thanks

You have saved me a lot of wasted time and effort.
I will give DAP a miss as I need a number of drop down options.

Whilst googling this I was heading towards a similar conclusion. I was hoping I might be able to let access build the majority of the data access page (which incidentally I have tried through ADP and it did the majority of what I required accept the drop downs) and I maybe could learn how to drop in the bits I needed.
Unfortunately I have not touched web pages since the html text days and I am looking at mountainous learning curve to get what is a very basic front end to a very simple sql DB.

As I said it is a small test project to consolidate my sql admin training and hopefully take it forward a little, so I have no major time limits but the thought of having to get my head round ASP is a little daunting.

I shall look at the alternatives and try what my small brain considers the simplest.

Once again many thanks for assistance and I shall no doubt be re-addressing this from another angle soon

Best Regards
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back