Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking down W2k Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

smlull

MIS
Aug 17, 2002
US
I am standardizing on W2K pro for my work stations. Corporate thing. Anyway, I'd like to them down so the standard user can't download "Gator" or other crap from the Internet. How do I do this. Oh, BTW- I am using a mixed (Novell-NT4 domain) environment.

Thanks for your help,
Scott

setup group policy. In group policy, you can limit what programs can, or cannot run, or if folks can install programs, etc.

This is usually done on the server with active directory,but if you arent using server, follow these steps to add group policy locally(be sure to be an administrator AND domain admin before you start)

Goto Start>Run
Type in MMC, click OK
Click CONSOLE at the top, Choose ADD/REMOVE SNAP-IN
Click ADD at the bottom
Choose GROUP POLICY from the list, and click ADD
Click FINISH.
Be sure to save the console (go back to CONSOLE at the top,and click SAVE AS, call it GROUP POLICY)

For more information on Group Policy, see support.microsoft.com and search for GROUP POLICY. The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine....If computers worked I'd be unemployed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back