Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking Desktop icons by GPO???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyberWolf

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2003
US
I have a windows server 2003 Domain with a mix of Windows XP and 2000 Client computers. I have had several users state that they are unable to move/arrange the icon on their desktop. I have logged in under these users and i can move the dektop icons when i log into a Windows XP computer, but not when i log into a 2000 box. I have been trying to find a gpo setting that i might have accdently set. Can find anything... Normally, I wouldnt care iof the end-user can move the icons or not, but one of them is the owner of the company...

Any help would be greatly apreciated

Thanks

If the users have mandatory profiles that woud stop them. Also if they have AutoArrange set ont he desktop that will prevent it too.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

HKEY\Currentuser\software\microsoft\WindowscNT\Currentversion\Program Manager\Settings

Dword value: AutoArrange

or create a custom adm template that looks something like:

CLASS USER

CATEGORY "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Settings"
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Settings"

POLICY "AutoArrange"
PART "AutoArrange"
NUMERIC
VALUENAME "AutoArrange"
END PART
END POLICY

END CATEGORY

The users do not have Mandatory Profiles and Auto arrange is not set. So i try to set it to auto arrange, and everything lines up. But the user still cant move the icons. (Like move all the icons down to the bottom of the screen.) All the get is a circle with a line through it when they try to move it.

This seems to be only with 2000, Windows Xp is not haveing this problem

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back