Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking a document

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmstenner

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
AU
I have been working on a document for quite some time now, it has 4 pages and consists of text, text boxes, tick and radio buttons and some other drawings.

I want to lock the text somehow, e.g. stop the user from doing any modification, but i do want them to be able to tick the boxes.

i know all too well about the "protect document" features, but my problem is this, i cannot protect the tick / radio buttons that are within a text box on the document, but i cannot remove the text boxes due to the way "its supposed to be" apparently by the owner.

Is there any way to get around this? is it easier to use another package of software to do this? like adobe or something? i am open to suggestions,.

thanks for reading :)

Create your document as a form (View menu, Toolbars, Forms)and create the text fields and check boxes as form fields, then protect the form so that the user can only type/select in the areas you have allowed.

Thanks very much for your reply, I will get started.

is it possible to lock existing text boxes? I found that I couldn't do it!!

It depends what you mean by "Text Boxes"

Using Tools, Protect and checking the For Forms option is designed to protect a document but allow user fields to be filled in.

As stated above use the Forms toolbar to replace your text boxes with form fields.

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

No. You can't use text boxes in a form (sadly, as it would be very useful) but if you layout your form in a table then you can position the form field precisely. If you are using a preprinted form it can be fiddly to get the line up right, but it doesn't sound like you are. I suggest that you layout the whole document with the text, drawings etc and use tables for the parts that need data entry. Insert the form fields into the relevant part of the table. Then, when you protect the form (padlock symbol on the forms toolbar) the whole document is protected so that the user can only type into the form fields.

Forgot to say - create the form as a template so that a new document is created each time. Sorry if that is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back