Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushrod

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2006
US
I just bought 2 refurbished 3Com SuperStack II 3300XM off of ebay. I read the docs but i can see how to login to them, 192.168.1.8 but it's not that.

They didn't give any info with these switchs and i don't know how to telnet into them. I don't have any ip info or anything.

I went a bougth a female to female cable to try access it. So with that info any other help is welcome... PLEASE

The switchs have male connectors and so does my laptop and workstation so i used a 9 pin cable that has both female connectors and it didn't come up when i used hyperterminal or telnet or the web interface because i don't know the ip info.

I thought it 192.168 etc but it's not.

When you use null modem cable (both female ends), you don't need to know the IP number. You are directly making the connection with the unit.

Do you see any LED light up?

Unfortunately, you bought the 3300. If you call 3com for hardware replacement, they will insist and tell that you need to trade this unit up for newer one. If you buy into their "trade-up" program, they will give you 25% off for any new switch you purchase.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.