Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked Out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iccpm

MIS
Apr 22, 2000
US
I administer an access db that has 8 to 10 people using it at once, and I keep getting a "unable to update, locked by----" message, but I have specified no locks in db options on all the terminals. What have I missed? What causes this lock conflict, and how do I stop it?
ICCPM

What version of Access are you talking about? It sounds like you are getting corrupted LDB files (a frequent problem with early versions of Access). Those can be deleted, in no one is actually using Access.

Check the permission on the directory/folder where the MDB is located. Users will need to have Create, Modify, permissions. Usually simplest to give them all rights then remove the 'delete' right from the .MDB specifically. This is often the cause of this kind of trouble especially under Novell Networking.

If this is being used under IIS (web pages) you'll have to give users write permissions in the folder (ugh!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back