Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked Out of Win2K Pro after changing Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2001
US
Hello,

Hope someone can help.

I setup a notebook PC running Win2K Pro. Originally, I set it up to attach to our NT4 domain, but the notebook ended up being seen as a server in Network Neighborhood.

So, I changed the system to logon to the Workgroup. Now there doesn't seem to be any way to access the computer. Even when it is disconnected from the network.

The error I get is:
The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct.

I am the network administrator, but my name and password don't work. Neither does the username that I setup as the administrator of that PC.

There is also no option to logon local machine. In fact the only option that shows on the logon screen is the checkbox for using dial-up connection.

So, to sum it up: Setting up a new Win2K Pro notebook I switched the Domain name with the Workgroup name. As soon as I did that and rebooted I was locked out of the local machine and the network.

I've tried booting to safe mode, and I've removed the network cable, but the system will not let me past the logon screen.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rob Prindle

it's kind of klooooooogie but i would just re-install w/out formating. you won't lose any data, you can reset your ACLs and it's simple.

-christian

Christian,
That is good to know. You really won't loose your data???

Be careful!

User data stored in the "My Documents" folder is keyed off of two items... USERID.DOMAINNAME. If you take a look at the storage directory for where your user settings are stored, it's right in a volatile spot: C:\Documents and Settings.

You could be in for a surprise when WINDOWS deletes the user folder for ALL YOUR SETTINGS and DOCUMENTS just because of a re-install... It has happened to me twice when I first started administering Win2k workstations at my office, and lost MUCH data... (backed up of course).

I'd take anything important (i.e. Outlook Express, Browser Cache, MY DOCUMENTS, etc.) from where they're stored BEFORE you do anything with REINSTALLATION of Win2K.

Just my two cents.

James

In this business, anyones two cents can quickley save two thousand or more. So all is important to know. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back