Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked out of Win 95 Admin privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

drazeni

Programmer
Apr 21, 2001
ZA
Hi,

I purchased a second-hand laptop with Win 95, and it appears the laptop used to be part of a LAN.

Unfortunately, it appears the laptop had user privileges, requiring an adminstrator logon to have access to all the windows features.

I managed to delete all the *.pwl files and deleted the references in system.ini.

Eventually I got access loging on as Administrator, but when in the passwords group (in control panel) I changed the setting from "Users can customize their setting" to "All users of this PC use the same preference", I couldn't get back in as an administrator.

Does anyone have an idea as to how I can regain access or manipulate this setting from dos maybe?

Much Appreciated.
Mario

Delete all of those files again, and create an administrator account. This will give you access as an administrator and allow you to remove the old account, and start fresh. Did you reboot after you removed the old files ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back