Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

locked out of my database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazz

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
GB
Hi Guys,
I have made a database for use in the office, everyone has an individual copy of the database at the mo on there pc... and thats working fine. I have identified a small problem and needed to update the database.

When I open the database its asking for me to logon to it. I have tried to open other, non related databases and there asking the same thing. The user name it brings up is the user ID I use to sign on to my pc. It is only me in the office that is effected. In the office I am just a normal user on the network and have no admin rights. I am using win2k.

I have deleted the only file i have (i think) that had passwords in for another database. Could this be the cause of the problem? Do i need to look for another file that could be doing this? if so what file extension do they use?

Any help would be greatful

Cheers everyone

Chris

ps.. I have tried to guess the password... but to no avail! :(

I assume that it is a MDB file that you are trying to access, this being the case just go into access and create a new MDB an import in all your forms,tables,queries etc... prob solved.

[afro]Zeroanarchy Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

If you have set up a user in any Access DB on your PC, that user is saved in your system.mdw file, typically in the Win/System32 folder (though I have also known it to live in the Program Files/Common Files folder or similar). Just do a search for system.mdw.

Any instance of Access you open will look in this sytem.mdw file for users, so if you set one up it will ask you to log on for ever more no matter which database you open.

Open Access, then go to User and Group admin to clear any users, and to clear any password you have set for 'Admin'.

You should then be OK. Alternatively overwrite your system.mdw file with one from the other user's PC that does not require any log on.

Hi

Sounds like you are joined to an (acecss) workgroup, which has a password on the admin user.

You do not say which version of Access you are using.

Easiest way out is probably to delete the admin password, uisng tools \ Security \ USer and Group Accounts.

Or if you know how to do it use wrkgrpadm.exe to join a workgroup with no password on admin user.

All this assuming you have not been playing around with the Access security system, if you have then you may have deeper problems.

MAKE A COPY OF YOUR DB BEFORE PLAYING AROUND.

All would not seem to be lost, presumably you can get into the db on the users PC's, and if all copies are identical, you can just make the cahnges on one of those copies, and the propogate it to each Pc, including yours.

Regards
Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
UK
kenneth.reaySPAMNOT@talk21.com
remove SPAMNOT to use

Hi Guys,
Thanks for great response. I have finally tracked the problem. The was an .mdw file under my profile on my pc which was causing the problems. I simply renamed it to system1.mdw and I have access to my databases again. Is this file though purely a database file or is it going to effect my pc when I next log onto the network? Has in added itself to my registery, as I dont have access to that if it has

that file is used only for access security... it has nothing to do with the network, or network security...

I just thought you would like to know this.

--James
junior1544@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

Thanks!! I wasnt sure whether to get worried or not.. at least i now know the answer is 'or not....'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back