Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked out of my bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baconandeggs

Programmer
Dec 31, 2000
GB
Hiya all

my computer is a windows 95 75 pentium. 1995 -

When I removed the RAM an error mesage came up about getting an upgrade, this is probably the bios upgrade from iCL Fujitzu ergopro x which is the PC's spec, as I am not familiar with BIOSes I left the bios and set it to reload on exit as it adviced, so that it would become enabled, then a warning advised me that i should not disconnect the supply whilst the computer performed this activity. After quite a while I then realzed I had put the wrong disk in the A drive, not that it would have caused any harm, but the system boots up onto a screen number 5 normally when it stopped this time it was on screen 3 , which was the same as the page it would booted to normally when it measured the RAM.
Now the only thing I am getting is beeps, removing the RAM to initialize it doesn't work, it just changes the tone of the beeps .

Anyone got any good sound advice ..

Jim

Bedfordshire UK

the beeps are the computer bios method of telling you what is wrong. Troubleshooting this problem would entail taking note of the beeps, usually I use a tape recorder to get the sequence down pat.
The next task is to go to the m/b manufacturer and find out where they keep their beep code listing, each m/b is different with only a few beep codes standard.
Once you have the beep code translated to the component that is identified as having the problem you can then go to that component and correct the malfunction.
Since the system is going to the RAM page on initial POST attemt, it could be assumed that the problem had something to do with RAM identification or error which might be corrected as easily as removing the ram and then reinstalling it.
you should be so lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back