Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked in Cell problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jezza33

MIS
Oct 30, 2000
GB
I often get locked in a cell in Excel, that I cannot move out of. The only way I can is pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE, then cancel, and then I can move freely around my worksheet.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your mouse wheel is locked. Just press your mouse wheel once to umlock it.

Nope, it's not the mouse wheel. When I use the mouse wheel, the cursor changes and I can see why that might have been the problem, but this is different. When I have this problem, and I move the mouse, all the cells that I move the mouse over are highlighted, and clicking the mouse wheel does not do anything. The only way I can get out of the cell is CTRL-ALT_DEL then cancel again.

It's driving me nuts!!

Hello, we had the same behavior on some machines when we first went to Windows/Office 2000. The Knowledge Base said it was a known issue and would be fixed with Service Pack 1. However, we were on SP2 and still continued to experience occasional problems. One thing we found did work was to unplug your mouse and plug it back in. We haven't had any problems since going to Office XP.

Hi there.

Sorry I didn't state earlier, this PC is Office XP and Windows XP Pro, both at the latest service packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back