Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked Excel Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeeon

Programmer
Mar 24, 2003
GB
I am using Excel 97 on Windows XP.
Every now and then I get an error which causes Excel to shut down. If that isn't bad enough, when I then go to re-open the file I get a message:

FileXYZ.xls is locked for editing by 'Leon'

and I can only open the file in read-only mode.

I'm 'Leon' and the file is locked because Excel didn't close properly. How do I 'unlock' the file?

Clear out C:\Windows\Temp

When Excel opens a file it creates a temp copy. When you close the file it deletes it. If you crash it doesn't delete it, doesn't realise you are not still in it and generates the message you are getting. You may have to reboot in order to delete the temp file. You might also want to check the folder the file is in for a temp file.

Regards
Ken..................

The file is corrupt. Whoever opened it last didn't close it correctly, or their 'puter locked up and they rebooted.

Go to the folder the file is in. Right click it and make a copy, then paste that copy in the same folder. It will name it "Copy of . . . . " Make sure you can open the copy without any problems. Delete the original file. Rename the new file with the old name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back