Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locked Account Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibrahims

MIS
Nov 30, 2003
JO
Hello;
I've a problem with one of my client's account; His Account is Locked out every 2 or 3 minutes ( Unexpectedly ).

please advise

Check to see if he's logged on somewhere else. If a user is logged on in two or more different locations and then changes his/her password on one of the workstations, it causes a credential conflict in the AD, which consequently for security, locks the account.

Check for any terminal services active session also -
or vpn connection -
if the user is connected to one of this sessions with an old password then the acct will get lock out

Not to overreact, but this sounds a lot like the Null Sessions attack.

I've done a write-up myself about this, but it is a bit much to post here (3 pages) with some useful links, and so on. But this is what caused the lockouts at my place of employment. Just something else to look for.

----------------------------
I am Comptia A+ Certified

Also, this may not help if only one user is experiencing this issue but I would also check the Account Policies Lockout Duration settings:
1. Go to START>RUN type gpedit.msc
2. Under Computer Configuration expand Windows Settings
3. Expand Security Settings
4. Expand Account Policies
5. Select Account Lockout Policy
6. Double-click Account Lockout Duration
7. Uncheck "Define this policy setting"
8. Click Apply. Click OK.

Hope this helps!

Zilantyas Technology
Professional Information Technology Solutions

Maybe there's a program that's keep connecting to a share, using the user credential of outdated password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back