Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock workstation Windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayerling

MIS
Feb 9, 2004
US
Does anybody know how to lock a workstation (W2k pro) automatically ?

Here are the steps:

- Right click anywhere on Desktop
- Click on Properties
- Click on Screen Saver tab
- Under Screen Saver, check password protected box and select how many minutes you want to wait, before it locks automatically
- Click Apply
- Click OK

You should be good to go...

Thank you Guys, but I meant locking the workstation with Ctrl + Alt + Del, like winnt 4.0

I found that if I create a desktop shorcut I can lock the ws.

It reads like this:

"In the Create Shortcut Wizard, type %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation in the Type the location of the item box, and then click Next. Note that LockWorkStation is case sensitive.

On the "Type a name for this shortcut" page, type Lock Workstation in the Type a name for this shortcut box, and then click Finish.

Right-click the shortcut you just made, and then click Properties.

Click the Shortcut tab, and then click Change Icon.
In the Change Icon dialog box, type %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll in the Look for icons in this file box, and then click OK.

Browse through the available icons, and then select an icon that makes it easy for the users to identify that the shortcut is to be used to lock the workstation. Click the icon you want to use, and then click OK.
Click OK.

Double-click the shortcut, and note that the workstation automatically locks itself. The user must press CTRL+ALT_DELETE, and then type his or her credentials to unlock the workstation.
back to the top "

I did this, but it did not work. I got the following error message:

Error in user32.dll
MissingEntry: Lockworkstation

Do you guys have any suggestion ?

Use this :
rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

It's Case Sensitive , so don't forget to use Capital and small as described

Mohamed Farid
[green]Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!![/green]
CCNP,CCA,MCSE,MCSA

Mohamed,
I used what you suggested and I got the message I mentioned above:

Error in user32.dll
MissingEntry: Lockworkstation

what should I do with error ? should I add a registry value ? Please help.

can u check the version of the user32.dll ?
and can u give us a complete information about the version of your windows u are using , and the service pack ?!

Note:
[red] You can get the version by right click the user32.dll file , and select version [/red]

my version is : 5.0.2195.6897

Mohamed Farid
CCNP,CCA,MCSE,MCSA

uh, I've never seen "Lock Workstation" spit out an error like that. If you're not wanting to get into some serious stuff with your machine (like probably reloading the OS) then I'd just use the screen saver password. It does the same thing and you CAN'T get passed it without a password, unlike windows 9x or whatever..

you can set it to like 1 minute i think..

Good luck yo, but if your really concerned about everything that's on your pc, i'd be backing it up and reloading the OS if you want that ctl+alt+del to work correctly..

snoots

ok , give me your email address , and I will send the version I have to you...

Backup your file , and replace it with the newer version which I will send to u..
and test again ,,

Mohamed Farid
CCNP,CCA,MCSE,MCSA

Weird. What are you trying to accomplish here?

GlenJohnson was correct that all you need is CTRL+ALT+DEL and the the letter "K" (or just client on the "Lock Computer" Button. It's "pre hacked" for you.

And if you're in a Windows 2000 environment (server) you can set Group Policy to activate a password-protected screensaver (or even a "clear" screen saver) that locks the computer when it's brought out (wiggle mouse, whatever).

Either option requires that you enter CTRL+ALT+DEL to get back to a login prompt (user or Admin only) and back to your desktop.

J.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back