Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock Values?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmkieffe

Technical User
Jun 12, 2006
ID
Hi,

I dont know if I am asking this in the correct way but is there any way to "lock" values from the tables?

The forms and reports will be used by other users and I would like to have them only select values from combo boxes, not be allowed to type a new value or overwrite an old value (which overwrites it in the table it originated from). I would like any changes to data if need be(besides one specific text box) to be soley made in the original tables.

Can I "lock" these values everywhere but in the tables? Is there a restricted access (Permission) control in Access like Excel has?

Thanks,
pmkieffe

This sounds like the users have access to the actual tables. Not normally a good practice. Forms are best used to control what users can do with data. Such as only select from a combo box. Also on a form you can show data, but block the user from changing the data in some (or all) fields, depending on your needs.

How can I "block the user from changing the data in some (or all) fields"? That sounds like exactly what Im looking for.

Thanks,
pmkieffe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back