Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock Up When Adding Table To SQL Search In IM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZulumanatSPI

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
US
We just switched over our BTrieve server to a SQL sever Running Macola 7.6.100a SQL. In IM, under Multi-Level Item View, I tried to add the IMINVLOC table to the Search function, which only had the IMITMIDX table. Now, when we click on the binoculars, it hangs, and I have to press Cntl-Alt-Delete to exit the non-responding screen.

What happened and how do I fix it???

Thanks.

I wanted to add the Location Quantity On Hand and Quantity Allocated fields to the search screen.

why on the search screen though. This data is present once you select an item from the search? Im confused.....how does someone search by qty?

Just a word of advice with macola....keep it simple....or be prepared for the worse. :)

Thanks for the advice. But can you tell me how to fix it??

never have had to do it.......I have never even seen this done and I have worked on allot of macola sites in the past.

Just seems silly to search by qty and loc.

Good Luck

Which search are you editing? I just went in to test this, and on the item number search, I am experiecing locking in 7.6.100a MS SQL, and I have yet to do anything to the search!

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

DGillz, it is the item number search...The same one you just tried to edit. Perhaps this is an unfound problem with Macola 7.6.100a MS SQL and not associated with the action that I took to try and add a table??

Where is it locking for you? Is the same search locking on other screens? Is it also locking in the Macola Demo company?

For me, it is locking as I hit the down arrow to select the search (the default search it item-description). It is also locking on the Item Master Maintenance screen. I cannot test Macola demo data as some genius here decided to delete it.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

It is, in fact, locking on all searches the look for an Item number (Item Master Maintenance, Single-Level Where Used in BOM package, Item/Location Maintenance, etc). And it is locking up in all companies as well...We also don't have the Test Data because they didn't yet convert it over or create it or something like that.

I am hearing from our experts that we will need to re-install the search database for item searches. So far that is the only known fix.

Zuluman,

If you do this, are you going to edit the search again? If so please post your findings, I am very interested in this.

DG,

I think if I tried this again, my IT guy would hang me upside down by my ears and kick me to the curb like a bad Novell server. As much as I would actually like to try it again, I would probably lose my job if I tried. It's like a piece of candy in front of a diabetic child....

The good news is that the fix I mentioned above works, and we have our search back...Thanks to ThomH for having seen this problem before and remembering the fix to it.

Thanks again DG for all your help and support.

I can understand why you might be reluctant to try the following, but for the benefit of those who would like to modify Macola SQL Searches, I would give the following advice.

1. Always make sure you have a backup copy of your SQLSRCH_SQL table in the Macola “Screens” database before beginning your modifications. This table contains all of the data used by Macola for SQL Searches

2. When you want to edit an existing Macola SQL Search always use the “Save As” option on the file menu of the Search Edit tool before you begin your work. When saving your search you can define a new Search Key and Search Number. The Search Key is a text based name for a particular search group (i.e. “IM-ITEM” is the search key that is used for Macola’s item searches. This was the search group that you were trying to modify when you had a problem.) The Search Number defines the individual search within a search group. Each Search Key/Search Number record is represented in Macola SQL Searches in the “Searches” drop down in the actual search dialog.

To decide on the new Search Key and Search Number to use consider the following:
a. If you are defining a new search that you only wish to be used from a specific Macola screen, change the search key to something like “IM-ITEM-CUSTOM” and set the Search Number to “1” (1 defines the first search in a search group).

b. If you want to add a new search to an existing search group do not change the Search Key but do enter a new number in the Search Number field. (Please Note: if the number has already been taken a message will appear letting you know that the search already exists. If this occurs just choose a different number. Also, if you choose a number greater than 9 the search will be out of order in the “Searches” dropdown on the Search Dialog.)

3. Now that you have made a copy of the existing search either to a new search group or search within a group you can make your modifications and save your work. In the case presented in this forum you would add the IMINVLOC_SQL table, create a link on the item_no field, and then drag the qty_on_hand and qty_allocated fields in to the columns list, then save your work.

4. You can now close the Search Edit Tool. You will also need to close and reopen the search dialog in order to see your changes. If you defined a new Search Key (Search Group) you will need to modify the screenset that you wish to use the new search with. To modify the screenset enter in to Designer, right-click on the Text Box that is related to the search button that you will use for searches, and choose “Search Name” from the drop down list (if you don’t see this on the context menu try left clicking on the control and then right-click on the control again, also make sure you ware not clicking on the search button itself, but you are clicking on the Text Box that will contain your returned result from the search). In the “Search Name” dialog change the text to match the Search Key you defined in the Search Edit Save As Dialog. All you need to do now is save your work and your ready to start searching.

5. If for some reason you experience lockups with your new search you can easily change or modify your search by going to another module and using an unrelated search and open the Search Edit Tool. Once in the Search Edit Tool click on “Open” in the File menu. This will open a dialog that you can use to select your search. You can choose to open your search from here and try to fix the problem, or you can delete your search from within the Open Dialog by highlighting your search and clicking “Delete”. If all else fails your have your backup of the SQLSRCH_SQL table.

I hope all this helps. If anyone needs any clarification on this topic please let me know.

Scott Travis

Gee, Scott. When is the next chapter in you above book going to be available to the public? :)

Good post though.

Andy

Andy Baldwin

It has been said that the wise man can say much with few words. I on the other hand say little with many words.

Scott Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back