Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock station - is that possible 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almarton

Programmer
Jan 1, 2002
BR
Does anyone knows how to lock/block the computer running XP Pro not allowing other users to log like in Windows 2K??

Thanks in advance...

Alexandre @lmarton Marton
almarton@task.com.br

Go into user accounts in control panel. Set a password for your account, now, nobody can log in without knowing your password.

If you want to get rid of the welcome screen, go to "Change the way users log on or off."

I knew that already...

What I am trying is to avoid others to log really blocking the computer not just log off one user and let option to anyone log into another account...

almarton@task.com.br

If I do a Ctrl + Alt + Del there is a "Lock Computer" button that, when chosen, locks the computer and will only allow the currently logged in user of an administrator to Get back on the computer. The Ctrl+L that bcastner mentions does the same thing.

Mike

What you want is not a locking service but rather logon restrictions.

Start, Run, gpedit.msc

Local Computer Policy
Computer Configuration
Windows Settings
Security Settings
Local Policies
Logon rights

For the right to Logon locally, set just Administrators or a specific user. Remove entries for all other groups.

You can tighten security be preventing an network or service based logon, including Terminal Services in other areas of this panel. Be careful you do not disable the Automatic Update service as an unintended consequence.

Mbarron did you make any customization to your XP? 'Cause when I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del all that comes is the task manager and it has only LOG OFF (what does not solve anything cause other users can still log on their own accounts) and SWITCH USER (that's even worse...)
You may be confusing W2K (that has this feature) with XP!

Bcastner, your solution is partially good but it is not practical at all. What I need is to lock the machine temporalily not allowing no one to log on while I am away (not in any account) by doing your way I always have to go back to gpedit.msc and modifing things...

I need to know if there is a way to enable the same function as Ctrl + Alt + Del lock computer as in W2k

almarton@task.com.br

It may have to do with either the Classic Login or Forcing the use of C+A+D to login plus being networked/on a domain. My XPsp1 Pro is set all classic 'long and feel' and Secure Login is enabled (CP-User Account-Advanced-Secure Login) plus there is a setting (can't remember where) thats changes the way user logs in (not using the XP switch user deal) which forces the classic C+A+D user/pass/domain login panel. This is an option prior to going classic and is in user accounts.
When I C+A+D I get the standard (classic) 6 option Windows Security windows which has lock workstation as an option.

for more testing try creating a shortcut with start in directory of C:\windows\system32 and a target/command line of:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
click shortcut and I get a locked workstation wanting C+A+D to unlock.
Or just run the deal from start run to test.

You cannot use the lock workstation feature if Fast User Switching is enabled.

You cannot use the lock workstation feature if you have not set a true (non-blank) password for the machine.

You cannot use the lock workstation feature if Client for Microsoft Networks is not installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back