Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lock session

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2002
IN
How to lock session in Sun Solaris 5.6 ? I know in HP-UX it is "lock" command ..but not aware about Sun . Is it possible to open another session so that I can switch between them as per requirement ? PLZZ help urgently.

what do you mean with lock?

If you mean "how to I store my current session to be exactly restored as it is" the solution is: everything under CDE is stored in ~/.dt so if you cp or mv this directory you will be able to switch between sessions (even archive them)

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

As we can lock screen/desktop by putting password in screensaver in windows. In HP-UX we can use lock command to do the same . What is the command in sun-solaris ?
CAn I open two sessions in one telnet command prompt so that I can swithch between them and I dont have to open two session through telnet to server .

Sachin

I think my question language (?) is not clear. Let me put that more clearly. I have two questions :
Q No 1 )
Whenever we leaves our desk, we activates screensaver (in windows ) with password , so that no one can access desktop without password. Same we can do in HP-UX by lock command so that our session protected with password . Is there any command or setting in Sun - solaris so that whenever I am away from my pc , my telnet session get lock with some password ?
Q No 2 )
suppose I logged in to sun solaris 5.6 server through telnet from my PC . I want to open another session in the same telnet connection simultaneously so that I can swith between those two sessions . Is there any solutions ?

Sachin

ok, this is more clear now...

to QNO1)
there is a command xlock

[fp@admin6] % man -M /usr/openwin/share/man xlock
Reformatting page. Please Wait... done

User Commands
xlock(1)

NAME
xlock - locks the local X display until a password is entered

to QNo2)
what you call session is a shell on another host, in this shell you execute commands, the only think I know is bg and fg (as Ken already mentioned); If your client (the machine you are sitting at) and the network has no restrictions about connections you can start as many commandtools/xterms/etc as you like, some of them offer somathing like session1 and session2, but afaik, these are independant shells running on the host being connected in one managed window (I have never seen this under Solaris, but I know it from RedHat/SuSE Linux)

does this answer your question or is this even more confusing? HTH...

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back