Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lock screen saver

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmi

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2002
US
Hello;
How can I lock out the ability of the user to change the screen saver. Specifically, I would like to lock the ability of the user to change the time-to-activation so in 10 minutes the screen saver will activate and require a password to get back in. Several of my users like to change the timeout to 999 minutes...regardless of company policy.
Thanks in advance
Tony

To remove all access to the Display applet do the following

Log on as Administrator and ensure all display values are set to required.
Open your registry to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
find or create the a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "NoDispCPL"

Values of "1" Disablea access and "2" Enables access

Hope this helps

My apologies it is "0" to enable access again or you can delete the NoDispCPL entry from the registry.

Simon

Thanks for the reply minisi. I don't have
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.
I do have up to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policiesbut adding the DWORD value there didn't do the trick. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back