Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock Hints for AS400 SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphwiggum

Programmer
Apr 28, 2003
US
Does anyone know of a way to read past locked rows in table? I come from a MS SQL Server background and in that environment you could add a lock hint after the select to ignore locked rows, such as:
SELECT * FROM TABLE WITH(READPAST)

Just wondering if anyone knows of an equivalant functionality in AS400 world or a workaround to achieve this. Thanks in advance for your help

Just a wild guess:

SELECT * FROM TABLE FOR FETCH ONLY;

or

SELECT * FROM TABLE FOR READ ONLY;

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

In our environment, which is DB2 version 7 on OS/390, we add the phrase WITH UR to the end of the SQL statement. UR means uncommitted read. This is the so-called "dirty read," that gives you data, even if that page is locked.

Legacy370,
I can't use that level of transaction isolation b/c I don't want to see uncommitted rows in case they're rolled back, I really just want to see commited records and read past rather than wait for the lock to release for any rows that are being updated or not commited for some other reason. Any ideas? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back