Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock files cannot be removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sha2169

Technical User
Nov 21, 2001
US
I am having an issue with lock files in Windows 2003 Storage Server. We use AutoCad which sometimes crashes for whatever reason. When this happens the lock files are not removed as they are when the app is closed normally. These files (*.dbl) cannot be removed at this point. I tried the removal from the network and from the console using exporer and dos. The only way that I have been able to remove these files is rebooting. By the way this is a NAS which is accessed all of the time so rebooting almost out of the question. Upon attempting to delete i get a message "Access denied: Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not in use." The app is not installed on the server nor does anyone have these files open and the disk is far from it's capacity. I have also tried granting the administrator account ownership of the file. Any ideas of how to correct this? I also noticed that this is not limited to just files created by AutoCAD.

Thanks in advance

The problem isn't one of file ownership, it's one of files being left OPEN, so Windows thinks these files are still in use by some application. We see this even on our SAN sometimes. Here's what we do in these cases:

- On the server itself, right-click on the "my computer" icon and select "Manage".
- Under System Tools-Shared Folders you'll see "Open Files".
- Click on "Open Files" to see all the files left open.
- Expand the "open file" column so you can see the full path.
- Scroll to the open files in question and highlight them and then right-click on them.
- Select "Close open file"

You should now be able to remove the files in question.

Good luck,

This is one of the first things that I checked for and the files are not listed there.

I'm not familiar with Windows 2003 Storage Server. Does it have a safe-mode you can use to try and track the problem down or remove the files?

When the application crashes it doesn't necessarily mean that the application has actually closed. It is possible there are tasks still running in the background that are keeping the files open. Check Task manager processes or use Sysinternals process explorer to verify any autocad processes that are still running, kill the process(es) and then delete the files

I can remove the files in safe-mode in fact if i reboot normally the files can be removed however this is a mission critical server so i can't reboot. Additionally the problem is just going to reoccur after.

These files are dated 2/18/08. All users shutdown before they leave daily so the processes would be killed upon shutdown. AutoCAD is not running nor is it installed on the server.

At this point I am thinking that a Windows system process e.g. Volume Shadow Copy is using it. Does the Sysinternals tool provide means of seeing all files in use by a particular process.

The only programs that are running on this server are BackupExec 11d and McAfee. I have stopped both and tried and got the same access denied message.

Instead of checking the programs using task manager, did you check the running processes? If nothing is obvious then go with the Sysinternals tool next.

Thaks itsp1965. I will double check the running processes and run the Sysinternal utility.

We have exactly the same problem!
Only with AutoCAD .dwl files that are locked and sometimes some Excel and MsAccess .ldb files.
We are running 2003 Enterprise with only McAfee (8.0 patch 16) and BackupExec 10 installed.
Only a server reboot unlocks the files.
We have tried the Sysinternal Process explorer tool and several other unlock tools. Nothing works, only a reboot.
I have not used the Open Handle tool from the resource kit, will try this tomorrow.

Anyway we want to know what is causing this and not unlocking files all the time!

We will upgrade McAfee next week to 8.5, this was planned anyway. But we don't think McAfee is the problem anyway...

Sha2169 have you found a solution yet for your problem?

Thanks.

try this, i never met a file it couldnt unlock.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

I was not able to locate a process that had the files locked. I had to reboot the server for an update and I was able to remove the files.

FYI Groinwood I have McAfee 8.5.0i installed. You are correct in saying it has no affect on this issue.

I have not tried the tool yet because we rebooted the server yesterday and have no locked files at the moment.

sha2169:
So you have McAfee 8.5 installed and still have the issue... I was afraid of that...

Anyway will we exclude some extensions from the scan as advised on the other thread.

What do you have updating/supervising McAfee 8.5, is it ePO or Protection Pilot?

Change the policy for the workstations to NOT scan files with the dbl extention ie: *.dbl

We use ePO too.
I changed the policy this afternoon... let see what happens.
Thanks for your reply.

Hi All,

I have found the solution, and it relates to what you said above. McAfee released a hotfix for those of us that have McAfee 8 with patch 16!! This has resolved the issue. Go to:
and "VirusScan 8.0I"

After installing this on my servers and rebooting there are no more problems with Excel, Adobe or AutoCad files. Thanks to all, and I hope this works for you.

boxster8,

i click on the mcafee link you give, but i don't see that hotfix. i see

Patch 6 for ePolicy Orchestrator version 3.5.0

Patch 3 for McAfee Protection Pilot 1.1.1

McAfee Streaming Spam Update Protection

WebShield Activation/Deactivation For McAfee Streaming Spam Update Protection

Patch 4 for ePolicy Orchestrator Agent version 3.5.0

Patch 3 for ePolicy Orchestrator Agent 3.0 Service Pack 1

VirusScan 8.0i Release Notes
This release contains the fix for the Common Management Agent Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability. McAfee is currently obtaining a CAN number to track this vulnerability. The CAN number will be included in the VirusScan Enterprise v8.0i patch 12 Readme. 8.0i 66KB

can you point me in the right direction?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back