Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock down Windows 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jysorensen

Technical User
Aug 8, 2003
US
I'd like to completely strip permission away from certain users. We are running Windows 2000 Pro - SP3. I'd like them to be able to login to the workstation, access certain files that I've already made shortcuts on the desktop for, print, and basically that's it. People keep screwing with the wallpaper, changing icon names and places, changing the time, etc... pointless and annoying things just to mess things up. Where do I start?

Thanks
Julie

hi julie,

what group are the users in.

If u put them in the 'USERS' group then they wont be able to change time and stuff.

try it out.

ajaxr77

You can also try Group Policy. You can prohibit certain functions from being done on the workstation such as changing the time and wallpaper. Ajaxr77's suggession of placing the users in the 'Users' group is also a great idea.

To access the group policy, Go to Start>Run and type in gpedit.msc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back