Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock Down IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

irweazel

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2005
GB
I am trying to lock down internet explorer to minimal functions. Done that fine but they now want to be able to print ether landscape or portrait but i have got the file menu hidden so they can't change the print settings.

Is it possible to Use the DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPrint in some form to open the print dialogue as i can't get it to work
Either that or add another button that will print to the other printer set up for Portrait

I'm certainly no expert at Command buttons, but what you could do is create your own toolbar (using customize functions) and allow them access just to this with the functions you want?

Can't they just right-click the page and select 'print'?

Nelviticus

trying to make this as user friendly as possible without comprimising the build. IF i could get a button to work to print either landscape or portait that would be ideal.

any points of refernce for the custom toolbar CBRadshaw, ot something i have looked at before

If you right-click the toolbar in a normal installation of IE and select 'customize' you can add or remove buttons. I'm not sure what method you've used to remove the 'file' menu but could you use the same method to prevent further toobar customisations once you have it how you want it? That way they'd have a 'print' button and whatever else you chose.

Nelviticus

What about something like:

Code:
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
window.print();
</SCRIPT>

<shrug>

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

I have used a local policy to remove most of the options from the IE window i.e. file menu etc. They have a print button which just prints direct to the default printer not brining up the print dialogue.
What i tried to do was add a custom button through one of the local policies and add the DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPrint in a batch file attached to the button but i couldn't get the command to work

gbaughma can you give me an idea how to get a button action to execute that.

THanks for all suggestion :)

Well, my idea was to have a button right on the page.... something like:

<SCRIPT Language="JavaScript">
function doPrint(){
window.print();
}
</SCRIPT>

<FORM NAME="foo">
<BUTTON Value="Click to Print" OnClick="doPrint()"
</FORM>

... something to that effect. You'd have a "print" button on your web page, not on your toolbar. Come to think of it, using that method, I don't think you even need the FORM tags..... Hmmm....

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

only problem is i don't have any input into the webpage its written by some chimps who have no idea about kiosk mode browsers, otherwise i could use that. So the button has to be on the tool bar

it's hard to convey five-dimensional ideas in a language evolved to scream defiance at the monkey in the next tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back