Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock db schema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell1991

Programmer
Aug 20, 2003
US
Is it possible to lock a database schema so no users can go in and modify it? But the user can go in and add/edit/delete records?

I don't want people going in and changing how long a text string should be - because when we go to import the data it could fail..

Thanks,
-bell

Sound like a job for the standard User-Group security model.

Things to do. Apart from step 1 they might not be in exactly the right order - but you need to do them all.

1) Take a backup
2) Use Security Set Up wizard to set up security
3) Create 'Developer' UserName and GroupName
4) Set 'Developer' Password
5) Add the Developer's UserName to the Admins group.
6) Make sure the Admin user has a blank password
7) Remove all the unnecessary privlidges from the Users Group
8) Test.

The Developer can then log in using the developer password and get full design access to the thing but users open the database as normal ( without needing to enter a password ) but cannot change the design.

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS
spsinkNOJUNK@yahoo.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

The simplest approach to this which will stop 99% of such unwanted activity is to split the database into front-end user interface and back-end tables. Use the database splitter tool to do this and also look at the Linked Tables Manager to understand how to maintain the links.

That certainly would stop the "Idle Fiddlers" lupins46 I agree.

If you're just looking to stop the 'accidental' rather than the 'malitious' Bell then go with lupin's suggestion.

Unfortunately I deal with a userbase who 'fiddle just because they can' and I tend to look at the LOCK OUT approach rather than the HIDE approach.

G LS
spsinkNOJUNK@yahoo.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back