Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock computer by policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjax0330

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2005
US
We're running mostly Windows 2000 pro clients and windows 2003 domain controller and would like to know if there is a policy or some way to automatically lock computers after a certain period of inactivity. Without having to go to each computer and setting the screensaver settings. Is there a group policy or something else that will allow us to do this? Thanks, Joe

Please don't cross post. You've already asked in the proper forum, the 2003 server forum.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Please worry about yourself! I only did it becuase it involved 2 operating systems, not just 2000 pro but 2003 server so that is why I did it because not sure which place was the best to handle it! When you respond like you do then other people might think that someone reponded and not even look at post so please don't police what is not yours to police!

Hi jjjax0330,
Yes it is possible. It can be done a number of ways. The easiest way however is to use Group Policy. Within the User Rights Section you can set any number of things, which include. The screensaver and the TimeOut period. You can play around with it locally. Using The MMC and the Group Policy Snap in. The settings you are looking for, are located under User Configuration, Windows Settings, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, Display. Assuming you are using some sort of GPO now. If not, you will need to setup one.
Good Luck,
ScorpioX

jjjax0330 - I suggest you look at the Posting Policies at the bottom of each posting page.

jjjax0330 said:
When you respond like you do then other people might think that someone reponded and not even look at post so please don't police what is not yours to police!

First of that, that is illogical. How could someone READ what DaveToo wrote unless they looked at the post?

Second, it IS, in fact, DaveToo's to police. This is a member "policed" forum.

You have started 40 threads. In only TWO cases have you responded to what people have posted in return.

40 posts started. 2 replies....TOTAL. People have given answers and you do not - except in TWO cases - even bother to respond.

DaveToo?

91 threads started. 2517 replies. That means he replies to others and is helpful. It means the majority of his posts ARE replies trying to help others.

I sympathize with not knowing which forum to post in. It can be difficult at times. It is handled by politely stating that you are not sure, and asking for direction if where you are posting is not correct.

I am not sure what you meant by "Please worry about yourself!" It seems rather meaningless. I believe DaveToo was not expressing worry whatsoever. He was stating policy. Which he, and every other member (including you as well), is entitled to do.

Again...you are incorrect. It IS DaveToo's to "police".

Be polite.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Thanks to the person who actaully helped(ScorpioX) rather than wasting time. Have a nice day:)

And precisely who was wasting time? Hmmmmm?

May I suggest...again... that you read the Posting Polices, at the bottom of every posting page.

In particular, three things.

Leeching (member posting only questions, and never helping others)

Thanking Other Members for Help

Helping Other Members

On refresh I can see that yes, you have indeed thanked people. That is good. You have not given any stars, but that is your business.

However, this forum is for people helping other people. People are not here to answer YOUR questions. They can do so, but it is supposed to work on a mutual basis.

You sir, have NEVER posted to ANY threads, other than your own questions.

I am not trying to be hyper-critical. However, even your last comment is indicative that - apparently - the only thing that matters to you is getting YOUR questions answered. Everything else is a waste of time?

I repeat, you have never posted to any threads except your own questions. Obviously you have some knowledge and skills. It would be better off for everyone if you actually shared them. Hmmm? I am pretty sure there are threads you can contribute to.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back