Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock a Media Set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosshoff

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2004
US
Hello,
I was wondering if it was possible to lock down the media sets. Currently, I am following a backup rotation that has seperate tapes for each day of the week, as well as end of week and end of month. I created a different media set for each dilineation, and thought the backup process would only use tapes from its assigned media set or fail out. Instead, it grabs tapes from other media sets, assigning them to its media set.
I have overwrite protection enabled that fits with my rotation schedule, but this will not safeguard the backups until the first round completes without stealing tapes. Any help would be most appreciated.

I think the only way to achieve this would be to load the tapes you want to use and "label" them using BeNT, then drag the tapes from the scratch media pool to the relevant media set.

bossoff-
You can partition the drive and place as many slots-tapes into each partition as are needed for a backup. The operation will then confine itself to just those tapes.

Best Regards,
David Tracy

Thanks, the partitioning worked. I was really starting to get annoyed with the fact that Veritas was moving tapes in and out of media sets at a whim. Your expedience in answering my query is much appreciated.

I thought that Veritas BackupExec should not take media from some media set, overwrite it with some stuff and place the media in another media set... What is the purpose of media sets then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back