Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locations Assigned to Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.abney

Systems Engineer
Aug 23, 2017
US
I'm relatively new to the Avaya red world, a long time (35 year Nortel vet) and recently started at a new company with no turn over and little documentation. I'm going through things to the best of my knowledge and have started looking at 911 routing. I see there are locations built into ARS that reference Partition Routing Tables but I can't see how phones are assigned to the locations.

Appreciate any insight to this routing puzzle.

What type of phone set? If digital then the phone gets the location for the network region define for the cabinet that they are connected to. If IP then you need to look at the IP network map for the users IP. The network map will be associated with a network region.

Thanks, Tolson. So the ARS Loc = Network region? So as long as the dhcp is working properly and the phones are getting addressed in the right region we should be good.

How about remote users? We have people who work from home all over the nation using softphones.

Not quite. If you "display ip-network-map" you'll see which subnets belong to which region. If you display each region, you'll see what physical location it belongs to. Network Region 11,12,13, and 14 can all be part of location 11.

That's how an IP thing is tied to belonging to a physical location.

Then, if you look in those phones class of restriction - say, display cor 1 or 10 or whatever, you'll see a time of day chart. TOD Chart 1 = PGN1. TOD Chart 5 = PGN5

So, locations are you break out how to treat different dialed strings in different physical places.

Partition routing is how to break out different categories of user within the same loaction. Say, sales and support each have a PRI trunk. PGN1 hits route 1 for trunk 1 for sales. PGN2 hits route 2 for trunk 2 for support. That way if sales makes a ton of calls, they won't use the support group's trunks.

Now, a best practice was always to implement partition routing in PGN1 with TOD chart 1 for everyone when you build your PBX so if you ever needed to add another, you wouldn't have to edit every dialed string in ARS and map to "partition1" instead of "route 1". To say, if you print all your partition route indexes and you only ever have column 1 populated, it'd be a safe bet that the feature was never used but implemented in anticipation of it ever being required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back