Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Location Unknown when searching for 2000 PC on Network / IPC$ Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmacg

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
US
I have an old Windows 95 pc trying to connect to a Windows 2000 pc. When I do a search for the 2000 pc, it finds the computer but right next to the name under the Location Column it says Unknown. When I double click on the computer found, it gives me a "ComputerName\IPC$" signon prompt. But I've setup the 95 User on Windwos 2000.
Other PCs on my network, the Workgroup Name appears.
And my Windows 98 Machine is able to connect to the Windows 2000 machine and share folders without a problem.

Windows 2000 is the Master Browser.
Computer Browsing set to "No" on every other PC.
All PCs are connected through a Netgear router.
LM Announce is set to "No" on every PC except the Win 2k.
Any help would be appreciated.

I have not had this problem between w95 and w2k, but I have had it between w95 and XP. In the latter case and after many months this was recommended and did it for me.

1. Clear the login password on the XP machine and restart it.
2. Put the password back the way it was and restart it again.

Yeah, reset the password at both places. You might just kill the .pwl file on the 95 machine to be safe, then reboot and type in a new password.

Matt

Please always take the time to backup important data and verify that backup, before making any changes suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back