Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Location of signature

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooze

MIS
Oct 8, 2001
US
Anyone know where a person's signature is stored? I know many e-mail systems store the signature in a plain text file - anyone know if Groupwise does the same, and if so, where I might find the location of that file?

Are you looking to edit, or are you getting an error message when someone tries to add their signature?

I guess it depends on which version of GroupWise you are using and whether you are running as remote or server client verions.

Maybe this might help.

Enhancement Pack preferences are stored in the private BIF file. It sounds like you have only one private BIF file per computer (WPCSET.BIF, usually in C:\WINDOWS). You can solve this problem by having a unique BIF file for each user who logs in. Use the /NT switch (on the command line, as an environment variable, or in the .ENV file), and Shared Code will create unique BIF files for each user who logs in. The BIF file will be named XXXXhhhh.BIF, where XXXX is the first four characters of the user’s network ID and hhhh is generated by a hashing algorithm.

You did not specify a particular version of GW you were interested in, so I will tell you where to find a users signature in GW5.5 without any add-ons, like the Enhancement Pack.
The signature does not reside in a local (client side) file, but is resident within the GroupWise system's database for each user. That way, if you login to GroupWise from another PC (using the "GrpWise.exe /@u-?" command), you will be able to still find, use or edit your signature.
The /@u-? is a command line switch that allows you to open a GW account regardless of who you are logged in as, provided that you know that users password (if one is applied to that account).
In GroupWise, select the "Tools" menu item, then select the "Options..." menu item, then select "Environment" from the "Options" window. Select the "Signature" tab. Edit the signature and apply settings as required.
There may be other ways to access this information for each user, but I would recommend that you avoid that if at all possible. Let each user maintain their own signature as they see fit.

Groupwise 5.2 the signature is stored in the Windows Registry. We found with shared Win95 machines without individual profiles everyone got the one signature which was setup.

The move to 5.5 (not EP) and signatures stored in the mailbox is a big improvement.

I'm running GroupWise 5.2, and the Signature is located in Tools / Options / Environment / Signature (tab) just like in GW 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back