Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOCATING IMPORT SPECIFICATIONS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor136

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
US
Hi All, A friend asked me how to import via code. I told him all about transfertext and the associated import spec. Then I got curious and tried it. But when I tried to find and print the import spec to copy to another .mdb I couldn't. Anyone know where access hides these things? Thanks again.

Rap

And Access does a very good job of hiding them too.

Here's how I bring them up (Access 97)

1. Go to File ---> Get External Data ---> Import

2. Select a text file to import. (Any text file will do since you won't really be importing it)

3. When the Import Wizard appears, click on the "Advanced" button.

4. Click on the "Specs" button

5. You should now see a list of all your import specs. Select the one you need and it will open. You can now make any changes you need to the spec.

6. Click "Save As" and type in the import spec name to save the changes to your spec.

7. You can now cancel out of the import. Your spec changes are still saved.
Maq [americanflag]
<insert witty signature here>

Hi Rap!

In the database that you want to import the specs into goto File/Get External Data and click import. Find the database with the specs you want to import and select it. In the import window where you choose what to import click on the advanced button. Check the box that says Import/Export Specs.

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Thanks guys. I had all that figured out though. I re-read the post and realized that I was vauge. I am wanting to print or save the spec as a text file so I can create VBA code with it. I do appreciate the replies though.

Rap

the specs information is saved in the MSysIMEXSpecs and MSysIMEXColumns system tables. If you goto tools --> options --> check the &quot;Show System Objects&quot; you'll be able to show the two tables. But i believe both tables are read-access only, so i don't think you can create the specs using VBA. then again i could be wrong as i've never tried doing this. hope this helps.

qwerty906, the MSysIMEXSpecs is quite helpful to find spec names. I got tired of &quot;importing&quot; a file just to see the spec names. Thanks! Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back