Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

locating E-mail aliase

Status
Not open for further replies.

abovebrd

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2000
US

I need to locate an e-mail aliase within a large site. Outside of opening every recipient account and looking at the e-mail properties ,is there an easy way to locate which recipient account uses this particular e-mail aliase.

The aliase in question is info@ -Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

one idea...you can do a directory export, open the file in Excel and do a quick search for the alias...?

brontosaurus,

That was a very good tip. It worked really well.

thank you -Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

Assuming you're using Exchange, you can also add the "Alias" column to the view in the Recipients container. (View, columns, etc..)

We've set ours up this way to make is easier to troubleshoot email logon problems at remote sites.

Disey,

How do you change the default view ?
-Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

Hi Danny,

Go into the Recipients container in Exchange Administrator and from the Toolbar at the top select "View" and then "Columns". You'll then have a screen that enables you to add and delete columns for the default view.

We've found it really useful having the alias displayed there - saves us heaps of time.

Good luck
Disey

Thanks Disey,

That was a great tip !

-Danny -Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

If you're using Outlook as the mail client, I think you could also type the e-mail address into the "To" box of an internal e-mail, and use Outlooks "Check Names" function.

When I do that here, it recognises that the recipient is a local user, and resolves the internet e-mail address to the name of the user from the Global Address List.

Hope you find this useful (I know you've already solved your problem, but thought this might be worth posting anyway)

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back