Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locating Com Port conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

TickTock62

Programmer
Sep 2, 2007
US
I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop Model# 1005 S-157 with XP home OS.

It has a Toshiba software driven modem AMR. When I go to Device Mgr. it says it is working properly, but when I query it states " Port could not be opened. Could be because of hardware conflict. Check device mgr....."
It shows Location PCI Bus 0,device 31, Function 6.
I also have 2 PCMCIA slots the top slot does not work at all, the bottom works fine most of the time but I do occasionally get the blue screen of death. They are #1 Bus2,device4,func0, #2 Bus2,device4,func1.

I have gone as far as reformatting and re-installing XP. But problem persists. Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Uh, what problem are you having? Does the modem not work? What are the pcmcia cards? BSOD means a driver issue...

Burt

Modem does not work. I have un-installed driver and then re-installed. Did not correct issue. I have also checked for up-dated drivers, but there aren't any. PCMIA slots are like credit cards.

re-read your msg. D-link wireless card, Linksys ethernet card, Ibm modemcard.

I know what pcmcia cards are, I was asking what they are in YOUR system. What message should I have re-read to get this info? You make it difficult for someone to try and help...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back