Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locate server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpa69

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2002
GB
I have been running a citrix metaframe on an NT4 TSE for a few years and all has been well thus far. However recently, an annoying problem has started to occur;

The client can't get a connection and after a long "connection in progress" pause gets a message
"cannot connect to the citrix server" "the citrix server you have selected can not be located"

The problem is resolved for a short time if the server is rebooted or if any user logs out. It is as if some rogue process is using connections/licenses.

I applied TSE SP6 and the MS hotfix regarding license errors in the event log, plus the SP6 hotfix regarding ICA, still the problem persists.

The problem affects all users, even if you dial in via RAS, you get the connection and dial back, but the client can't connect.

In the past i have seen this when the license count was exceeded, this led me to test logging people out to make it work again. The problem is that unless all potential users login in a short window, the problem occurs again.

Any ideas, greatly appreciated.

Try pruning down your registry size.. IE. Rename Or remove users profiles that have not used Citrix in 30 days.

In the M:\wtsrv\profiles\ dir rename username to *.old Or using system properties \ Users Profiles (Delete) older profiles.

Hi Egraves

Thanks for your time

I deleted a few profiles, but to be honest most of them are not used except for admin users.

Most users load a domain profile stored in a hidden$ share on an SQL server, perhaps this is relevant. They have to do this to gain the rights to access the SQL backend from the Access developed frontend on the citrix.

But this problem affects all users, admin, local users, domain users - ALL.

I will try to cleardown the profiles as suggested

Hi TK36

Thanks for your time

I tried that it was the hotfix I referred to in the original message.

I have been analysing the server and there do seem to be three Winlogins and CRSS processes more than the number of users logged in.

I also noticed that Citrix sessions on the LAN are now connecting after a very long "connecting to server". But Wan and RAS links still give the Cannot be located error.

I tried increasing the timout on remote clients but it had not effect, just took longer to bomb out.

Tonight i am going to reboot the server and see if any of these are created without users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back