Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

locate and open pdf file through query

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireViking

Programmer
Jun 29, 2001
AU
Hi all

Cant really find too much on this subject.
I want to be able to open and view a pdf file of the users choice from a list box. The location of the files would most likely be on a network drive or cd.

The specific file reference will be stored within a table.

My question is how to reference and search a specific directory through a query for the the specific regerence and once found open the pdf for viewing.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi

You say "The specific file reference will be stored within a table."

If you declare the field type as hyperlink, then the pdf should open by simply double clicking on the dispalyed hyperlink, no need to search directories or what ever

or do I miss-understand your question?

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thanks Ken

My appologies

Our employees use notice books containing a unique reference for each notice issued. The data is then entered into the database using the unique reference of the notice as the ID. The paper copies are then stored in archived binders and put away. To ease the process of searching and retrieving the originals I want to scan the originals as pdf's and allow the user to view them without having to waste alot of time looking through archives, especially where originals are years old.

The pdf's will most likely be stored on cd's or dvd's and I need assistance in writing a query that can search the relevant cd:/directory for the pdf and open it for viewing.

Thanks for your assistance

Hi

OK

I still think the hyperlink datatype column in a tble is the answer to your problem, a couple of other points:

presumably

each CD is identified with a unique diskid ?

the table of articles includes this DiskId?

the user must load the CD into their CD drive?

If so then after selecting the article from the list, a msgbox is needed to tell the user to put CD in drive, threafter a path in the hyperlink of (say) E:\May04\MyArtice.pdf, will do the trick

If the CDs are 'permenantly' online and user does not need to know or load the disk, then including the disk, including the diskid in the path should do the trick (say) \\Disk01\May04\MyArtice.pdf

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Hi Ken

Thank you again, the hyperlink seems to be the way to go.

I would prefer to display the data in a listbox however it seems that the hyperlink doesnt work from the listbox. I bound the colomn containing the hyperlink so can you help with the click event code or is there a better way?

Cheers

Hi ken

Please disregard the last post. I have worked it out using
List0.Hyperlink.Follow
which works fine for the a doubleclick event.

Can I call up a search dialog box to select a specific drive where multiple cdrom drives exist?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back