Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

local workstations not able to install software

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw1234

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
GB
I have a 2000 PDC using the default GP, I woul dlike some users to be able to install software on there machines without having admin rights, can this be done?

You can always give them admin rights on the local machine by adding there account to the local administrators or power users group(depending on what rights the software needs)

mmm, this does not seem to work, the user is part of the local administrators group but when logged into the domain I get the 'you do not have enough privileges to install etc etc'

Thanks for you help.

You could add the software to the local machine using the group policy. Create an OU on the AD. go to the properties of this OU and create a new policy.Go to Computer configuration -> software settings -> software installation. Right click New -> Package. Browse to the MSI of the package you want to add(this needs to be on a network share).Select the MSI and then select the assign option. The package will appear on the right hand pane of the GP window. On the AD move the computers to get the package into the OU you have just created. Restart the computer and it should pick up the package and install it automatically. This is a good way because you control which computers get the package, users cannot mess up the install by choosing incorrect options or stop the installation halfway through and you do not have to give users additional privileges. Hope this is useful

The key to ap1612's suggestion is you have to make sure you make their DOMAIN account a member of the Administrators group on the local machine, not their local account. There's a difference there.

thank you bowfonz, that seems to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back