Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

local workstation rights / 2000 domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmic

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
CA
Been dealing with 2k server for a while now and I have one stupid question...
When 2k wks logs into a 2000 domain, how do I give them local admin rights to their system and still be a domain user? Right now, everyones a domain admin :)

I know this is gonna be a DOH! answer so be gentle :)

thanks.

> I know this is gonna be a DOH! answer so be gentle :)

:) Naah - the question isn't a stupid one at all.

Right Click on My Computer -> Manage -> Local Users & Groups -> Groups -> Double click Administrators -> Select your DC and add your domain admins/everyone/or a group etc.

This makes all users of that group a local (non-domain) administrator.

HTH

Ash.

Thanks for the response :)

So many servers, so little time...

Another way is use Group Policy vadimp@yandex.ru

Odissey any idea where in GP?

ie. If I wanted to give all domain users the power user right. How would I do it without going to each workstation?

thanks

Ash.

Yea that would be interesting to find out how to do this using group policy. I waste a lot of time going to each one of my clients computers and adding their domain account to the local machines admin group.

So...Did anyone figure out how to best accomplish this using a GP? I followed the directions on another thread about adding a group policy for workstation admin rights, but it didn't have any effect on the workstation. Anyone? A power User rights,

David

Under what account executed startup script from Computer Configuration-Windows Setting part of GPO? A think it is local administrator account. If yes, - you may use "net groupname username /ADD" in script vadimp@yandex.ru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back