Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local vs. LD provider help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunzeo

Programmer
Nov 17, 2003
US
I have a question for you guys. I currently have an ISDN PRI circuit which handles all of my DID numbers. This circuit is provided by Verizon. It also handles my outbound local calls. Then I have a LD T-1 provided by AT&T which handles all long distance. This circuit also has a feature which I just added called Digital Link which allows me to send local calls over this T-1. It can also provide incoming but I would have to port the numbers from Verizon to AT&T. Now my question would be, is it a good idea to port everything over to AT&T and just use them as both my Local and LD provider? Now I know that by getting rid of Verizon’s PRI would take away our Caller ID feature. I am thinking about doing this because we have (on net) discounts from AT&T. Right now it is (partial on net) because the calls to the DID numbers are Verizon’s. And over 95% of our calls are LD and office to office. I was just wondering if any of you have had bad experiences with AT&T as a local carrier. Does anyone think that this is a good idea? Do any of you do it a different way? If I did go thru with it then I would need to install a PRI from AT&T for the caller ID feature. Would this not be worth it? Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Nunzeo

You can make calls go any way you like.
Have you checked your AT&T billing to see what they are charging you when you send local calls down that route?
Since you have 2 different vendors you might want to do (if you are not having any real trouble with either) you may want to enter negotiations with them to see who can provide you with the best rates for local and LD. If you have any international calling you may find one can do some countries very reasonably while the other does other countries better.

Also, keep in mind you will need to keep some local facilities for 911, 411, 00 calls because they are not tariff for ADL. We have ported our DID to AT&T and have not had any problems.

KerTho,
I will keep that in mind. Have you saved much money by porting your numbers to AT&T?

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the billing. But the decision to move to this was based on saving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back