Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Users v. Domain Users 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

denwood

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2002
US
Using Windows 2000 server and Windows 2000 Pro.

How can I add a user to the network as a user but have local administrative rights? Most of my users will need the right to install on their local machine, but I do not want them to have admin rights while on the network.

Do I have to create an account on their local machine AND in Active Directory or is there a simple way?

Add them to the administrators group on the local machine.

On the local machine you can add their domain user to the local adminstrators group (eg, type lusrmgr.msc at run prompt, click on groups, double click on Administrators, click on add button - I'm sure you can manage from there)

You could also create a Domain group with normal user access, then add this group to the local computers admin group. Will probably give you a little more control, and if someone logs onto a computer that isn't theirs you won't have to add them individually to the administrators group if they are in the global group.

Thanks! This does work for all intensive purposes, but is there a way to do this without physically going to the local computer, logging in, and setting up the accounts?

Luckily I will only have to do this to about 30 computers, but if we had hundreds of computers, this could take days.

Not sure, but you could run the MMC and connect to each computer, that would save you some walking, logging off, etc etc. If your not sure how just post back.

I have looked at the MMC but was lost after that. How would I connect to each computer to assign the domain user admin rights to their computer?

start, run, mmc, ok. Then go to the console, and select add/remove snapin. You want to add local users and groups. Select a different computer by browsing or typing in the name. Then close/ok your way back to mmc and add the domain group to the local group.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just what I wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back