Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local tape backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomertech

Technical User
Sep 16, 2004
US
Hello,

I am new in the Telecom world and I would like to find out what is the maximum amount of data a NiceLog Digital Voice Login System would store using 4mm data cartridges.

At this moment we are using 4Gigs 4mm data cartridges. However, I would like to know if the NiceLog would accept a 40Gig 4mm data cartridge on both slots. Thanks for the help.

A 4 Gig tape will store 500 hours of calls. No you cannot use anything except a 4Gig tape in your machine the drive you have is a DDS1. You can upgrade the drive to a DDS3 which will store 1500 hours but it will be expensive.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

I called Nice Systems and found out they had information about the company who I wourk for.

According to Nice Systems, The NiceLog we are using is DDS3. However, I'll keep on using 4Gig 4mm Cartridges(If it's not broken don't fix it).

Hi,

After the 4mm data cartridge for the NiceLog has been used, can it be recycled and reused?

Yes, the tapes can be reused after the expiration date it reached, if there is an expiration date set.

NICE supports DDS2 & DDS3 tapes in the 7.x and the 8.x
In the 8.x, DDS4 was also a new option. MO, AIT and DVD were also added in 8.5 as additional archiving options.

DDS2 is natively 4GB
DDS3 is 12GB
DDS4 is 40GB

You will have to check your tape device properties in Windows to find out what tape drive you have.

To give a rough estimate of how many hours you can store on a tape, NICE gives roughly 128 hours per GB at ADPCM16 compression. You will get more depending on the compression level you select or if you purchased ACA.

One more thing to take into account - the logger "knows" what drive you have, and within the software determines the number of blocks on a tape. If you do decide to use a different tape (i.e. a DDS2 in a DDS3) you will notice that when it archives, it will only archive up to 33% and then eject the tape since it is expecting a DDS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back