Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Security Policy not accessable

Status
Not open for further replies.

braddds

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
CA
When I open the Local Security Policy (logged on as Administrator) I'm unable to see anything in the local or account policies...I get a message saying the database is unabled to be viewed! I think it says I don't have authorization...but I'm not sure as I'm not at the computer at this momment. Not sure why this is as I've not set any restrictions on this system.

Is there some simple way of turning this on!? Cheers

All responses are appreciated!

are you part of a domain (security policies from domain overriding local)?

have you tried using the secedit.exe command line tool? - Tim S.
A+, Net + certified
MCSA in training

No I'm on a home network which uses workgroups! As for secedit.exe I'm not familiar with it. How, using the command line, do I turn on or make the database available in the Local Security Policy? Although this might be a valuable tool for the 'informed' it isn't very self explanitory for the 'novice'.

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers

All responses are appreciated!

open command line & type "secedit /?" for the help files on the different command line switches and syntax.

have you checked again to see if the error messages does, in fact, claim you don't have permission to view the database? have you tried to import a security template using the local security settings console? (open console,in file tree on left > right click "security settings", import policy) - Tim S.
A+, Net + certified
MCSA in training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back