Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local rights on Windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingzope

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
US
If anyone can Help I will be really appreiciative. I'm on Windows XP Pro and I'm trying to set local folder permissions for another user on my computer. My friend uses my computer but I dont want him to have access to a bunch of my programs. How can I disable access to programs or folders for a user account that is local. I gave him a limited account but that doesnt do exactly what I want. Thanks in advance.

Dude thanks alot. That is exactly what I wanted. I'm really impressed that you found that. I could not seem to find anything to help me with the scenario. Again thanks.

Any credit should go to the creator - John Heuglin, Windows 2000 and XP instructor.

As a general note to all,

I frequently refer or use tips provided by other Forum members.

If in an case the attribution was not made clearly, I apologize.

If I remember the source, I usually mention it. If I failed anyone in the past, a likely case, I apolgize.

It is essentially my fault, and I will try in the future to completely give credit where credit is due.

There are cases, this is one, where the author of the tip is different from the Forum member who brought it to my attention. I will try harder to give full attribution in the future.

I thought what the thread starter was asking for had been handled quite aptly by an earlier Linney posting. I provided the link. It solved the problem. I am not absolutely certain how the attribution should be done in a case like this.

I do not want to ofend Linney, or John. But a suggestion as to how to handle this attribution issue in the future would be appreciated.

Best,
Bill

try lusrmgr.msc to configure groups and use NTFS security settings

Swimpy ;)

swimpy,

been there done that. John Heuglin's tip via Linney is a better bet in this case.

I agree, we use user manager on our network at work with 2000. I've never seen how it could work with individual programs. Oh and my computer is locked down locally now. Thanks again

Bill,

You don't offend anybody, keep up the good work and thankyou for all your great postings.

Linney,

What a kind thing to say.

You are a genuine class act, and I am proud to join someone like you in making this a useful site.

Quite frankly Linney, you are one great guy. I just cannot imagine this Forum without you. The Ads say "I want to be like Mike", well, I want to be like Linney.

Best.
Bill

"Blush".

Back to the main business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back