Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

local/public ip prob 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

reverendm

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
US
i'm attempting to enable an apachi server with a dynamic dsl conection fighting my way through a dsl modem, lynksys router and the adapter card. i have a domain host and an ip updater so the dynamic is not the prob. my prob is using the public ip for the server in stead of that darn 192.168.1.1 that is recognized as the server ip. at this point only those on my network are able to access the server. not what i whant!
how do i corect this prob. do i need to ditch or relocate the router? i would prefer to keep it the way it is ofcourse.

Just forward port 80 to the internal IP address of your webserver, then people outside your LAN can access your webserver via the public IP.

i've learned that port forwarding is nececary but how to do it is the real question. i'll check the config files for the server app but this situation seems to me a config of a dif location. i've go so far as to remove the router for now to hopfully remove a few step in the rite direction. i will remain hunched over infront of the computer till this prob is resolved.
and thanks for your responce

also i can't access the router to config anything. it has also been exculed from the current setup. now what i have is a dsl modem and a win2000 box running apache and an ip updater. still it shows my local ip.
i may be asking to much but what i need is not what to do but how to do it. the web is full of what to do but no how to do. i know cause i've been searching and browsing for about a total of 14 hours trying to find that presious peace of info i desire so much. please don't let me pay someone to get this thing working me. i'm broke....

You can't access the router config? What happens when you try?

Your Win2K machine has the IP address of 192.168.1.1? Where did it get this? This is the default IP address of that router.

At a command prompt, type ipconfig /all. What IP's are shown for gateway and dhcp server?

gate is 192.168.1.254 and dhcp is the same. when i type that in i get the darn dsl modem wich has no opts for forwarding. it is a westell wirespeed dsl modem. i've seen sites that tell and show screen shots of what i need to do with the router but i can't accesss the darn thing. should i try my copy of suse to attempt a web server or replace my modem and or router or should i just put a bullet through my brain? i have goten to the point where i just signed up at angelfire for a free web site... very limited with what i whant to do but will work for a couple things.
i would like to get this win2k box doin what i whant.
and thnks

you HAVE to access the router to enable port forwarding.

your setup should be

ISP --- westell modem --- linksys router --- PCs

if 192.168.1.254 gives you the westell, this means it's running NAT. put the modem into bridge mode.

set this up:
linksys router --- server

(i.e. nothing else connected)

your linksys will probably now have the IP 192.168.1.1 and your server should get something else.

surf to the linksys config page (ie surf to 192.168.1.1) and see what changes you can make there. You should enable NAT and DHCP, and obviously port forwarding (which linksys may have described as "virtual server").

if in doubt, try using the factory reset button on the linksys, then try these steps again.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

i've become very familiar with the reset buttons on both my linksys befsr41 v.2 ethernet router and the westell wirespeed a90-210030-04 adsl modem.
i have now a manual for the router and it's seems i was doing nothing wrong in it's configuring. i have bypassed the router a few times and still have the same problem. it seems to me that the dsl modem may not be capable of forwarding the public ip to my server box. there is no real manual for this thing. just a 2 page specs sheet. also very little info on the internet about this device except how to buy one. so mainly i'm asking for assistance with the modem.
p.s. i am able to configure a few things in the modem via 192.168.1.254 or my current public ip. when i alter some things it will not connect to the internet or the isp. not sure wich one it has the prob with.
thanks to all for you help.

make sure your modem is in bridge mode.
this will allocate the public IP address to the device connected to:

- either the apache server
( ISP --- modem --- apachebox )

- or the router's wan port
( ISP --- modem --- router )

try connecting up to the modem directly, then use &quot;ipconfig&quot; to find out the IP address given out by the modem.
If you get an IP address 192.168.x.x - this is a private IP, so the modem is running NAT, it's not in bridge mode.
if you get a public IP, the modem is set up fine.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

i can access this screen if i type 192.168.1.254 or my public ip. then goto expert mode. below are the vc config screen shots. the lan option will let me config dhcp settings.
config1.bmp

i've not looked up the defenition for &quot;vc&quot; but i guess it is &quot;virtual conecton&quot;. it give me the opt to enable more than one as you can see the list of disabled ones.
config2.bmp

after selecting the edit link you are given this screen.
if i mess with anything here i will lose my internet connection and must return it to the default settings to regain a connection.
config3.bmp

i've removed the router from the setup many times to simplify my trouble shooting. either way i get the same outcome.
i will upon request compile an exact copy of all config screens. it will be very easy for it is all html. you will be able to browse through the options and settings as i have them at the time of duplication. i'm sure your aware that if you select to enable the setting you will get an error screen unless you have the same interface for your westall modem. i would sudgest not doing that.

again, thanks to all who have responed to my thread.

Where it says protocol (second screen) change it to bridge.

Let your router handle the PPoE.

You want to disable DHCP on the modem.

perhaps i should mention that when i set the modem to bridge i am unable to establish a connection with bellsouth.
the router has an opt for PPPoE so i entered the neccesary logon info there and still no success.
if anyone has had success with a dif make of modem then please tell me what it is and i may just buy one.

all the advise i have beeen given is sound and accurate but not the solution to my particular problem. i would beter explain my prob if i understood what it was but then i would know what the prob is and therefore see my path towards a solution.

still i thank you all for your help.

May Tesla Bless The.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back