Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

local profile vs domain profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2005
US
We have a 2003 AD domain and use a mandatory profile for creating new profiles for users (not roaming profiles) this works well for our purposes on destops (XP). However I am now setting up a new Citrix/TS server and need to block the domain profile because file paths are not the same as on the workstations (apps are on T:\.. not C:\..).

Is there a way to specify a "default" local profile that will take precedence over the domain profile.

Thanks
Peter Hotchkiss

Not that i know of.

You would usually do this with OU specific rather than domain default policies then you can control this on a user or computer level which would give you what you want.

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

Some of the things we do with our mandatory or default profile I don't think can be done with GP. We turn on the Quick Launch bar and add icons to it, turn off Desktop cleanup wizard etc.

Maybe we need to consider roaming profiles?

Thanks for you response.

Pete

You can do all sorts of things like that with GPs and OU specific login scripts that update resitry entries. We always do that rather than the mandatory profiles.

If there are any specific elements you have problems with post back becuase i am sure someone will have done it before.

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

You pointed me in the right direction.

I was able to stop the Domian profile from being used by enabling: Computer\Admin Settings\System\User Profiles\Only Allow local Profiles.

Thanks
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back