Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Printers for Users - What do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogi

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
GB
Hi,

What local printers are you buying at the moment that work well with Citrix?

Also, do you have any MFP printers to give a Citrix user the ability to print but also Scan/Copy/Fax locally (outside of Citrix)

We're going through a phase of getting new kit and I'd like to offer some suggestions that work with Citrix.

Roll of MPS FR1 with it's UPD 3 driver!

Cheers,
Carl.

Hi Carl,

I hate local printers. I never recommend the use of such beasts. Network wins every time.

However, if you have to use them don't go for HP5500 as they gave me some grief on a Win2K3 server yesterday. Driver will not install.
On a slightly aside note I bought a Samsung Laser for the house for about 99 squid at christmas and it was the best money I have ever seen spent on Mr Printington.

IMHO local printers just guive more grief than they are worth.

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

stay away from USB printers, BTW. If you cannot use a network printer, be sure to stick with something that can handle a connection other than a USB.

~wmichael

"small change can often be found under seat cushions

HP Deskjet 1100 works real good locally. HP LaserJet 4xxx printers are also well behaved locally.

J

*J*

Hi,

Thanks all!

However, if you notice from my posts I'm not a "noob"! I know all about printers and their issues as I've worked with Citrix for the last 7 years since WinFrame 1.7!

Remote/Home workers must have printers so what have you found to work!

I agree USB is bad but more printers are coming with these connections rather than Parallel.

Multi Function devices are being asked about more and more so have you tried them, conceed that they work so allowed them!

Also, seen as I'm fighting to get W2K3 and MPS installed on a load of DL380's, if I win my battle at least next year I can implement FR1 and use the latest and greatest UPD which will print XML to the local printer, removing the need for any print drivers on the server!

Thanks for all your comments.
Carl.

I know you are not a wosit.

But I have a real bee in my bonnet about locally attached printers I am afraid. Well to be honest printers in general. m'apologies.

I have a MFP here and can print but cannot do really cool stuff yet.

HP Deskjets pretty much work. Again watch for the USB gotcha.

The HP Office Jet 5500 & likes do not work as they insist you install all the other gubins with them, monitors etc.

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back