Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Printer as Network Printer Win 98 and NW 3.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

niteflyer

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
US
I have tried to load rprinter under Win98 on the local machine to allow network access to the printer, I continually get an error message telling me to load the TSR first. I have not been able to get it to load before Windows 98 loads. A little help please.

Novell network/server 3.12 98se workstations runing Microsoft Netware client.

Hi, Niteflyer

AFAIK RPRINTER.EXE is a DOS utility only, though it would work with Windows 3.11 (WFWG).

In order to share printers under Novell when running Win 9x and beyond, I believe you have to use the Novell 32 bit client. I don't have access to a Novell 3.12 system at the moment and don't remember how you share a local printer to despool a Novell queue as I haven't done it in years, if at all, but I will try to look it up and let you know.

Possibly others here have more recent experience.

Jock

Hi, again.

No, I was wrong. Rprinter became Nprinter in Novell 4.1, but it is still Rprinter for 3.12.

However, Rprinter can only be run with Novell Client 32, and will not work with the Microsoft client. Additionally, you may need to add SPX=60 to your config.sys file.

See Novell TID's 1004200 and 1005769.

There was an updated print services for Novell 3.12 released 30Jun95 called ps3x02.exe, which has newer rprinter and pserver files. You should be running that one.

Jock

Go to the Novell site and download the newest clients.
You MUST install them on each work station.

If you want to share the the WIN98 PC/Printer under Novell, you must adjust the memory settings for the DOS box or RPrinter Icon...NO Expanded memory. Run in seperate memory space.

Better yet try nprint95, which I will try to upload to this forum.

Finally, you can just share it under Windows File and Printer Sharing.

GlennA
glenna@abelson.com
MIS

The main problem here is taht I am dealing with a legacy program that requires Novell to operate. Therefore I can not use Windows sharing. When I use sharing, the program will print but the local workstation loses its settings and will not print. I need a way to load rprinter or some other work-around for this.

Again thanks to all for you help

NPRINT95 is Novell printer sharing for Windows PC

GlennA
glenna@abelson.com
MIS

What type of printer? How about installing a external print server (or internal if the printer can accept) instead. Set it up as a queue printer, makes life a bit easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back