Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Outlook can't find Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

dana340

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2007
US
I've had this issue for some time, and it keeps resurfacing with complaints from users. We have a small Windows network, about 10 user names or so on 16 computers. All users have access to OWA, can send receive fine. Originally, after setting out Exchange, i configured Outlook for more demanding users, and on the application terminal server.

Issue: after more than a year, I went to add a new user AD, Exchnage, and OWA worked fine. Outlook, on the other hand, under a different profile on existing hardware could no longer contact the Exchange server. We are using Exchange 2003 SBS, and being a small network, this is "the server" for just about everything (DNS, GC, SQL, file)

so identical network settings will allow one computer to connect with outlook, but sme computer with a different user profile can't connect. I experimented with my own user name and found that if I try to reconfigure Outlook to reconnect to Exchange using an existing connection, it breaks it.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a DNS/WINS issue.

Why are you using OWA anyway on a LAN? Surely Outlook would have been easier for them.

What error message do you get?

We used OWA on the lan for some of the employees who hop from machine to machine. Windows login is often under someone else's name there. I also wanted to illustrate that Exchange is (or was) working properly.

The domain controller, and primary DNS server, and Exchange server are the same machine. firewalls on LAN computers have been disabled, and i have name resolution when i ping it. Also, i've attempted going through the outlook setup wizard and using the IP instead of the machine name and it still doesn't go.

when i hit "check name" , I get "the action could not be completed. the name cannot be matched to a name in the address list.

verify that the lmhost file is clean. I agree with Zelandakh that this is a name resolution issue.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

I have seen a few instances where the Outlook profile itself becomes corrupt and causes this symptom. That is an easy test/fix. Just go into the control panel while logged in as the affected user on the affected PC and delete the their Outlook profile all-together, Then simply create a new profile with the proper parameters. If I am wrong, nothing is lost, assuming all their data is on the Exchange server, not a local PST.

Hope this helps.

Sorry i haven't replied sooner. I will check out WINS and the lmhosts file. i just wanted you guys to know that this is not an abandoned thread. :) I should be able to check it out tomorrow evening. This is just one of the offices I'm responsible for, and you know how it can be stretching that valuable resource-- your time. I'll update you all, and once again, thanks for you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back