Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local machines not receiving DNS ip's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2002
US
I am having a problem with my network. My machines are not getting the DNS to be able to access the internet. I have went into DNS manager created the IP address it should look for and then added the DNS ip's but it seems that it just doesnt get the DNS ip's to the local. If I was to do a ipconfig /all I get the IP address, gateway, and Subnet mask but the DNS ip's are blank. Did I miss a step somewhere. I am running NT 4 server with NT clients.

Thanks for any help.

Err, you need to set the DNS Server IP address in DHCP manager, not DNS manager. (I presume you're using DHCP to give out client IP addresses). [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Hi,

In DHCP admin have u specified the entries in for Dns server and tick the option for automatically update the DNS settings through DHCP.

HTH
keep trying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also ensure that all ur machines are set up to use DHCP. You will need to reboot (or simply drop the old ip) to get the workstations to come up w/ the ip's.

If you use MS Proxy 2.0, the DNS field should always be blank in WINIPCFG, as Proxy handles name resolution for you. Using a DNS entry with Proxy will slow name resolution, or it might not work at all.

The DNS field therefore, if using Proxy, should be left blank on the client's PC TCP/IP>DNS properties.

The Proxy server's DNS entry, though, must point to a valid DNS server, usually a local caching server. If you run Primary DNS, caching is already there. Proxy and DNS can reside on the same server.

Make sure the DNS Forwarders point to another, valid DNS server, usually from your ISP, or you won't get your cache populated.

If not using Proxy, set the client PC's TCP/IP>DNS property to point to a valid DNS server. Preferably, you can set this in DHCP instead.

Finally, query the target DNS server using the command line utlity, or something like Cyberkit, to make sure it will answer queries properly. These servers *do* go down sometimes, which is why you can, and should, specify fallback servers in the client, caching, or Primary, as appropriate. A failed DNS forward-query will show up in Event Viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back