Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Machine Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4B

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2000
PT

Hi Everybody !

I've got a question....

I've got a user named "Porto" that only logon on the Domain Controller PORTO.
Can anyone tell me how to make that user Local Machine Administrator on the domain Controller, but not over the network ? The only way I can accomplish this , is to make the user "Porto" member of the Administrators Group. The thing here is that I don't want "Porto" to be a member of the administrators Group, because I don't want this user with administrator privileges over the Network.

Appreciate all the Help !

Thanks

Pedro Bernardo [sig][/sig]

Not true. I assume he's on NTWorkstation logged onto a domain.

From his workstation, log into your domain. From User manager make him part of the local admin group. I can understand the confusion but he will not have admin right to your network other then whatever you give him. This is just to have full rights to his workstation, which he should. Otherwise you should use poledit.

Without full right to his own station, he will not even be able to add a printer (NT).

xcell,

That give hime admin rights to the workstation he logged in from, not local admin rights to the domain controller.

D4b,

Try maiking him a member of the domain group Server Operators. [sig]<p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......[/sig]

First, one must understand the difference between &quot;User Manager&quot; and &quot;User Manager for Domains&quot;

When you are logged into the local machine, not the domain as administrator, open &quot;user Manager&quot;. At the bottom, double-click Administrators. Now, add you user using the add button. Choose the user from the user list. This makes the user an administrator of only this particular machine.

He still has the same rights on &quot;User manager for Domains&quot;.

If the machine is a Win2K Domain Controller, you have to either create a group to place Proto in and give it rights in each diretory or specifically place proto in each directory. You then must assign the group (or Proto) specific user rights. While this will work for most admin management funtions, there are a few items that only the actual administrator account will be able to perfrom (nothing you would need in day to day machine management.

Larry Gerlt
A+ CNA CNE MCP+INternet MCSE
lgerlt@bethphage.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back